Student Organization Award Applications
The Departments of the Division of Student Life have come together to offer various organization, individual, and advisor awards. CLICK HERE to access the common application for the awards!
Date: May 2nd, 2024
Location: Hurd Welcome Center Ballroom
Descriptions of and applications for these awards are below.
Individual Leadership & Service Awards
Any individual may submit an application for the following service awards offered by Missions & Public Life:
- The Virginia Crump Award for Outstanding Female Student in Community Service is given annually to a current Baylor female student to provide special recognition for her individual contribution of time, talent, and commitment to the Waco community.
- The Outstanding Advocate Award is given annually to a current Baylor student, to provide special recognition for his or her individual contribution of time, effort, and passion towards raising awareness and mobilizing the Waco and Baylor community.
- The Outstanding Service Chair Award is given annually to a current Baylor student who serves in the office of Service, Philanthropy, or Community Chair or an equivalent position for his or her student group. This award is intended to provide special recognition for an individual Baylor student's leadership as demonstrated through engaging the group's members in service, establishing new and innovative service initiatives, and fostering a culture of responsible and informed engagement within their group.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Educational Awareness Award is an award presented to a student group that successfully engages the campus community by generating awareness, support, and positive action toward a particular social issue(s). This award was created with the goal of recognizing the outstanding work that our student groups do in engaging in global issues and becoming global citizens who care about social issues around the world.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Philanthropy Award is presented to a student organization that successfully engages the campus community by generating tangible support and funds toward a philanthropic cause. This award is given to organizations that have demonstrated excellence in regard to engaging in these causes and working collaboratively to make a difference.
- The Outstanding Student Group in Community Service Award is given annually to a student group to provide special recognition for their valuable contributions of service to the Waco community. This award is given to organizations that have demonstrated excellence regarding the impact, quality, relationship, context, and learning aspects of service.
The following awards offered by Multicultural Affairs are nomination-based and should be submitted by somebody other than the nominee.
- The Behind the Scenes Leader Award is presented to an individual who in some unique and significant way contributed to his/her organization or the Baylor University community as a whole. It is broad in its reach and by design meant to recognize those not usually recognized through traditional awards criteria. The nominee must have contributed behind the scenes with their skills, time, and effort towards furthering the vision, mission, and strategy of the Department of Multicultural Affairs through their service to the University or their chosen organization.
- The Multicultural Excellence Award (Individual and Organization) is to recognize one individual each year that upholds the mission statement of the Department of Multicultural Affairs, “To enrich the holistic development of each student by encouraging them to celebrate their personal heritage and embrace the cultures of others.” The Department of Multicultural Affairs will determine honorees based upon responses to essay questions by the nominator(s), interviews with the nominees, and recommendations.
- The Department of Multicultural Affairs' Outstanding Advisor Award wants to recognize an advisor who goes above-and-beyond to support their student organization. Qualified nominees are invested in the development of each member, maintain a consistent presence within their organization, and provide appropriate guidance to the organizational leadership. The Department of Multicultural Affairs will determine honorees based upon description of individuals given in this application and recommendation.
Outstanding Student Organization Awards
Any individual may submit a nomination on behalf of an organization for the following awards.
- The Student Organization of the Year Award seeks to recognize one organization each year that has demonstrated true excellence among its peers within the University community. The Department of Student Activities will determine honorees based on organizational responses to essay questions and recommendations.
- The Outstanding New Organization Award recognizes a group that has been chartered within the last three academic years for their outstanding accomplishments throughout the year and made a significant contribution to the Baylor community.
- Student Activities' Outstanding Advisor Award wants to recognize an advisor who goes above-and-beyond to support their student organization. Qualified nominees are invested in the development of each member, maintain a consistent presence within their organization, and provide appropriate guidance to the organizational leadership. Student Activities staff will determine honorees based upon description of individuals given in this application and recommendation.
The Baylor Excellence in Student Leadership Award
This award is organized into two categories. Though the award focuses on acknowledging the accomplishments and commitment of junior and senior level students, an emerging leadership award also recognizes first year and sophomore students.
The Baylor Excellence in Student Leadership Award is the premier recognition of leadership for undergraduate students at Baylor University. Administered by the Division of Student Life and Student Government, the award recognizes exemplary leadership within the undergraduate student body.
Though many students exhibit leadership across the Baylor campus every day, this award is intended to celebrate truly extraordinary leadership within the undergraduate population. Exemplary leadership manifests in myriad ways, and the committee reviews each nomination’s merits individually. Successful candidates are able to demonstrate how their faith commitment and individual character have compelled them to actualize excellent leadership over the course of time. Former recipients cannot receive the same award.
Nominations can be submitted by the candidates themselves or on their behalf by others. Faculty, staff, or students may nominate a student for this award. Recipients of the award receive a custom Baylor Seiko Watch.
A small committee comprised of executive Student Government leadership, faculty, and staff select the winners.